Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Creating Pathway in Backyard Entryway

In my backyard entryway, I could hardly find any grass throughout the year. The obvious reason is that it is a high traffic area. Other than removing trash, I use this pathway many time for casually walking around, sometimes friends come in through this door. So, for me this backyard door is kind of second entryway.

Problems

  1. This pathway doesn't have much grass
  2. It is always muddy because of sprinkler system
  3. During heavy rain, it is almost like walking on a black mud
  4. It becomes slippery
  5. When grass gets bigger, it feels scary to walk on the grass
  6. I want to see where I'm stepping on rather rather than blindly putting my steps on the thick grass
  7. It doesn't look good

Solution Approach

  1. Low Cost
  2. Elegant Looking
  3. Grass should still grow to its thickness
  4. Avoid mud sticking to my feet/shoes
  5. Avoid sensation of dirt while I pass through barefoot
  6. Avoid unconscious feeling that I'm stepping on already damaged grasses

Items to Buy


  1. 11 7/8 in. x 11 7/8 in. Red Concrete Step Stone



I found this Red Concrete Step Stone (11 7/8 in. x 11 7/8 in. Red Concrete Step Stone) in Home Depot. It required some planning ahead for placement, design and number of tiles. I just put these stones on the ground without any additional support or digging. I do remember that, it took about 3-4 months to settle the stone firmly in the ground before it was not shaky at all. If you want a firm fix from beginning I would suggest digging and removing grass underneath before placing these stones. In First month, I could remember that I had to shift these stone little bit, whenever I took some heaver item rolling over it because it used to shift on the ground. But now, it is firmly settled and surrounded by thick green grass. It has settled lower enough inside the ground to a limit that I could take my Lawn Mower over it to cut the grass, which I was not able to do initially.







References

[1] http://www.diynetwork.com26 Design Ideas for Beautiful Garden Paths, http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/26-design-ideas-for-beautiful-garden-paths-pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment