Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Protecting Dahlia Plant from Insects/Slugs

Recently I bought Dahlia bulbs from Costco and planted them in my front yard during beginning of Spring season. Everything went smoothly and I could see germination successfully within 2-3 weeks. On closer look, I found that some insect or bug is eating all the plant leafs.

First Attempt (03/25/2015)

I tried two or three pest control but I could hardly see any improvement. I did some research on the web and found this site to be very useful. Now, I suspect it is Slug rather than insects.

Second Attempt (04/03/2015)

Today I'm going to buy some Slug control from Home Depot and apply it to those plants.

Review 08/18/2015

Now we are into peak summer and Dahlia season has long gone. The final review is that, the Slug control which we got from Home Depot was great. I had to apply it three times during the season. I mean almost every 4th week, otherwise Slug would come again. I do many much left of Slug Control which will be used next year.

Feedback on Dahlia

Next year, definitely, I am not going to put the Dahlia bulb. But, I think it would grow on its own now, because it's bulb is already placed in the ground and I have not removed the plant's root beneath the soil. Dahlia requires lot of maintenance. Also, its shoot is very weak and it breaks down pretty easily. 30-40 % of my flower bloomed on broken upside down shoot. Dahlia looks beautiful and it remains for couple of days. But, if you can maintain it, it is a beautiful flower to have in your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment